Monday, July 13, 2009

Want to see?

I felt like a proud parent, putting it all together. Our crazy umbrella and yet to be painted dowel all properly clothed, just like I always knew it would look (wink, wink). Even if it took us three tries to get there. So without further ado...





And they're still not completely finished. Each dowel will get a hat and has to be painted too. I need 30 hours in every day! And here are my adventures in applique. I haven't done a lot of this, but it was FUN! Like decorating with scissors and thread. I'm pretty thrilled with how they turned out, so there will be more...








Coming to you from Denver, Colorado where it is way past my bedtime...

7 comments:

icicle said...

wow, that is crazy good applique work! I imagine the t-shirts stretch a bit at inconvenient times -- or maybe that's just what would happen to me :)

Melissa said...

Where'd you end up getting those shirts? And what stitch did you go around the edges with? I like it!

littlegirlpearl said...

Well, I ended up getting some fusi-knit interfacing, and that was CRITICAL to having the knit fabric stay put. So I backed the shirts where I was going to put the applique first, then fused the applique pieces with wonder-under. I got the fusi-knit through my coop, but you can get wonder under from JoAnn's. I picked up the t-shirts from Marshall's, and am getting some others from Old Navy. I went around the edges with a simple satin stitch, or a small zig zag. I think all sewing machines are equipped with this basic stitch.

littlegirlpearl said...

I should have mentioned the stitching on the pop garden flower. I took a double needle and pintucked it before fusing it.

Jennifer said...

This is such a great idea! I have a few big shows comming up. After seeing your displays I feel the need to totally rethink mine. Nicwe applique work!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

Great new sets!! I love the dowel-e-quin idea :)

Kuutydruk said...

Hi! Just discovered your blog through http://totallytutorials.blogspot.com blog, where she had link on your piping tutorial (which was a great tut, by the way. unfortunately, we don't have this magic tape here in Estonia :(
Just wanted to tell you, that your little dresses and skirts for the little girls are so wonderful and so beautiful. I don't have children yet. I've always wanted to have twin boys (you know, two-in-one and boys are easier) :) But your creations make me to want girls :)
Super! I wish you more great ideas and lots of sales in your Etsy store!