Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sewing what I shouldn't be sewing...



I know, I know, I ‘m supposed to be designing for the fall, but all I seem to want to do is use pretty fabrics and make sundresses! All in a climate that has not been conducive to wearing them. We have had the rainiest summer I can remember. And it’s been chilly too. Only a few days have reached 80. Most of the time we are in the 60’s or low 70’s. And maybe that’s the point. I can’t design for the fall, because I haven’t put her in enough sundresses. But finally last week we had a beautiful day, and I had just received three new fabrics in the mail.



Ordinarily I have to think of combinations for a little while, but this one practically fell into my lap (or out of the parcel as it were). I just happened to order two Heather Bailey fabrics, and one from Anna Maria Horner. And there it was. As soon as I opened up the package, I “saw” the dress. Snappy yellow straps, yellow piping, aqua print bodice, and what I am calling the “under the sea” print. I have no idea what Anna Maria called her design, but to me it looks like brightly colored kelp, coral, and sea anemones in the shape of flowers. I wasn’t sure about it from the pictures on the web, but in person it is glorious.





So, we took it out for a test run at our local farmer’s market. Which, by the way has the most extraordinary donuts ever; just the right amount of squishy doughy texture, super fine sugar, and ever so slightly crisp on the outside. But I digress. She had to pet the biggest dog I have ever seen, which stood just as tall as she, and the other lab mix old girl. And had to run around every park bench she saw, whilst eating said donut. Sit still? Oh no, not her.






So, after greeting a few neighbors, my husband and child headed to the beach, and me to Denver. It’s so hard to go to work on one of the few nice weather days, but at least it wasn’t a sewing day, which is way harder to forego to be outside. Today I’m headed to Anchorage for some of the freshest halibut ever, nice and fried. And a beer. And a view of the bay. You jealous yet? OK, I’ll stop.

And I have all my pattern stuff with me, and promise to be good and set the sundresses aside for daydreaming in winter…

4 comments:

zoliszhabits said...

So nice, I love it !
I send you and you daughter kisses from France.

Melissa said...

That is my favorite fabric-- the AMH. It's called "Small Gathering"-- Sea, by the by. It's funny you saw "sea"-- I see harvest fields and haystacks. I've got the dreamiest little dress planned for the gold colorway... enjoy your fish. And the beer. And the view. And don't you love those HB dots? They go with EVERYTHING! I think I bought four different colors...

Die Schaubude said...

I love it...nice fabrics ;)

littlegirlpearl said...

Thanks all. And yes, I should have bought each of the HB dots. They are amazing! By the way, the fish and beer were TASTY! Perfect after a long day of flying.