Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Recipe

At least all this cool, rainy weather is good for something.




I just picked a nice little batch of shelling peas from our garden in order to make one of our favorite family dishes. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and am currently a lapsed member of weight watchers. The following comes from one of my many cookbooks. It is fast, easy, and tasty even for the littlest in your family.



Tortellini with Peas and Proscuitto in a Creamy Sauce

½ lb. of refrigerated tortellini
1 c. peas (frozen or fresh)
¼ lb deli-sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 tbsp. flour
1 c whole milk (I use skim because it’s what I have on hand, and put a dash of half and half in)

½ c. grated parmesan (I use the stuff that comes from the cheese counter, not Kraft’s)
½ tsp. pepper or to taste

Cook the tortellini according to package instructions, putting the peas in for the last 2 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray, and add the chopped prosciutto. Cook for about 2-3 min. Remove the meat and save for later. Whisk together the milk and flour and add to the skillet. Cook until thickened (this only takes a few minutes on my gas stove), stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and pepper. Add the proscuitto, cooked tortellini and peas.

Dinner is served!

This makes 4 light servings, is 6 pts. per serving. 358 calories (with whole milk), 4g fiber, and 6g fat.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks good! I need to be a member of Weight Watchers-- is six points a lot? Do they allow you to eat chocolate eclairs if you are nursing? Because that is what I had for dinner...

littlegirlpearl said...

Ha! No, 6 pts. is middle of the road. I'd get about 27 per day. Not so sure about that eclair though...but you're nursing, so all is well.

Ana @ Don't Fear the Ripper said...

I just served this for dinner and it's YUMMY!!