Saturday, December 20, 2008

strawberry knickerbockers


covered bridge, originally uploaded by littlegirlPearl.

I love dresses, cute ruffles, twirl skirts, and all the rest. But what I end up dressing my daughter in is usually a little more everyday. These knickerbockers were inspired by a browse through one of my Ottobre Design magazines.

So, I started with a cute little strawberry print corduroy, and decided to make them reversible. Now this seems simple enough, but when I added the cuff on the bottom, it became a little more complicated. Not to mention the fact that I was trying this out at about 11:00pm, when i should have been going to sleep. My first attempt at the reversible part ended up not working. For anyone who knows anything about mobius strips, this will make sense to you. So, you have to leave a small opening and grasp the two raw edges together, and just keep pinning until you have all the appropriate edges together so that when you turn it right side out, it lays together.

On the reverse, I used a gorgeous print from Anna Maria Horner from the garden party line. Lovely. I also love that you get two totally different looks in one. Versatile, cute, and sort of boyish which I think looks adorable on little girls.

Incidentally, I made a pair of these out of a gray and purple velvet I had in my stash, a peasant blouse out of rayon, and a violet linen vest with a ribbon laced grommet detail in the back for her visit to Santa. Alas, my child will probably never sit in his lap, but I did get a couple pictures anyway. I love how the soft velvet looks in this unexpected style, and I hope to offer this in my etsy shop soon.

This picture was taken on our local covered bridge. Can't wait to do a few more there, I love the struts in the background.

No comments: