Saturday, December 20, 2008

CPSIA and NAM

As I was reading Kathleen Fasanella's blog today (it's all good by the way, and there is so much information, it is mind blowing for a designer) there was a link to a petition as set forth by the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) that I believe is truly outstanding in a "so rational it's scary" sort of way. In it they have petitioned the CPSC to clarify the intent of the CPSC in regards to supplier provided certifications, exemptions for components that have little or no lead in them, and other provisions for inaccessible parts.

It is the best thing I have seen to date, and makes the most sense to me as a small business owner who wants to eventually grow her business. I don't want an exemption from the law just because I am a small manufacturer making things out of my home. I realize that I am a manufacturer, regardless of the size of my company. I want to play by the rules. I want my products to be as safe as they can be. But certain things about complying with this law do not make sense.

Why do we all need to go through the expense of the third party testing when it has already been done by the fabric manufacturer? The thread manufacturer? And the fact remains, that fabrics alone are not a real source of lead to begin with. Perhaps if I were surface coating them, or printing them, I might think twice, but I am not. Forgive me, but we'd all be very, very sick by now if there was a real risk of lead contamination from cotton clothing.

OK here is the petition. It's beautifully written in legalese, so it ought to get someone's attention over there at the CPSC since they are so fond of that language.

Thanks for your support.

Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you won't be able to sell your handmade clothes anymore unless you go get each piece tested for lead? How does someone feasibly go about doing that? Or is it just the hair accessories and such that you sell that need to be tested?