Thursday, October 15, 2009

Quilt Market, Houston '09, Part 2

Without further ado...



Next up was Amy Butler herself, who is even more beautiful in person. And so nice too. I felt a bit conspicuous, because I happened to be wearing one of my gored skirts made from her nigella line. I think at least 20 people stopped me to ask what pattern I’d used. Too funny. Anyway, it was great to see her new line in person, because the photos don’t do it justice. I’m loving the navy blue and (you guessed it) lilac color palette. I am anxious to get some home dec weight too. Her booth was very inspiring and gorgeous as is inevitable.





I also stumbled on Michelle from Cloud9 Fabrics. I had seen this fabric on several coops, but didn’t end up purchasing any at the time. The only reason being I already have gobs of fabric, and I have to cut myself off at a certain point. But I gotta tell you that I am regretting that decision. It’s SO soft and lovely. It’s certified organic, and is manufactured to GOTS standards, so no nasty chemicals or heavy metals. The yellow polka dot was my very favorite, so I may have to splurge on this in the future.





Finally, Sandi Henderson’s Meadowsweet, and Heather Bailey’s Nicey Jane. I was really glad to have the chance to see these up close. I am really psyched that Sandi decided to carry the henna garden print through to this collection, because it has so much potential as a great coordinate. My favorite was the melon colorway, but I love the others as well. Heather’s new line is so soft and sweet, and has her signature large scale florals, along with some great retro prints. It should be a lot of fun to work with.



The Market was also a great chance for me to touch base with the button distributors. I have had quite a bit of angst regarding the CPSIA, and am totally relieved that both Dill Buttons and JHB have decided to test, and have all the necessary paperwork on hand. I realize the law is not written with component testing in mind, but I at least feel that I will be covered and that cooler heads will eventually prevail in Congress. This has been a major worry for me, and I feel that it is finally resolved (somewhat).

So, I apologize for the length of this post, but if you’ve ever been to the Quilt Market, you will realize immediately that I really have only described the highlights, and there was so much more there to see. I haven’t even mentioned trims and ribbons, which really deserves a post unto itself. So, if you ever get the chance to go, don’t hesitate. Go be inspired, and do not miss the special exhibitions at the far end of the hall where they show museum quality quilts and fiber arts.

From Atlanta,
~Melissa

4 comments:

icicle said...

Wow, how do you not just roll up into a little ball and "squeeeeeeeeeee!"?? So incredible seeing entire lines in big booths like that.
I'm off to Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool this weekend. Lots of yarn squee-ing to be had there. :)

littlegirlpearl said...

I don't know how you can't be excited, you know?? It's like crack for fabric addicts like myself.

Going to the yarn show sounds like great fun too... wish I could get back into more knitting projects, but that side of my brain is on overload I guess. Have fun!

Melissa said...

I heard from Westminster that "Love"'s first printing sold out before it had even gotten to their warehouse-- she said it sold out before she even saw a sample of it. I love that navy/lilac I could see in the pillows out front-- and was that a new pillow pattern? You are a lucky woman!

littlegirlpearl said...

I think you're right Melissa. I've seen a few places that have it on-line.

I'm not sure about the pillow patterns, I wasn't really thinking in that direction. I did really love the sample skirts though, so maybe she will put out a pattern for those.