Saturday, December 5, 2009

Invasion of the Purses

Well, it had to happen sometime. The mound of fabric pieces too small to make a dress with, but too big to just give up on, was growing larger by the day. If you sew clothing, you have some idea of the proportions of which I speak. We are talking a good shelf full of smaller pieces that weren't going away, but were cluttering up the view so to speak.



For my show a few weeks ago in Concord, NH, I decided that something had to be done. And it's always a good idea to offer a variety of price points so that people can commit to a little something instead of a big something. My solution to both challenges is the little purse, new to my shop.





These are so fun to put together and very easy to embellish. I try to pick out three coordinates; two for the purse itself and one for the handles. The trick is finding pieces of fabric that will all work together in the sizes I need. And of course I can't leave it just plain, so I decided to go through my vintage button collection and add to the fun little yo-yo's on one side.





Oh, I know I'm certainly not the first one to make a little girl purse, but watching my daughter pick one out for herself was tons of fun. So the only trick now is keeping them out of her sight just in case she decides to help herself to all the other lovely colors.

I may do a tutorial on this if anyone is interested, just comment and let me know. No advanced sewing skills required, I promise. And no piping this time...

~Kansas City, MO
Melissa

10 comments:

~C~ said...

Oh I would love to know how to make one of these for my daughter. She uses anything purse like to carry around all her my little pony toys and various other odds and ends. She did have a real little toy purse but the handle snapped on it and she went back to scavenging purse like objects. :)

Misty said...

I would too! I love the ones you made!

Melissa said...

I did the same thing! I made up a bunch of bags and some "cozies" to hold Moby wraps (those 5 yard strips of jersey for wrapping your baby onto you-- probably new to you, since I didn't have one 3 years ago, either!) and it is SO much fun to hunt the scraps. I stole AMH's idea and organize in baskets of "warm" and "cool" (plus I added "earth tones" and it makes choosing more fun, too! Oh, so cute-- and I see they're already selling!

Anonymous said...

yes please on the tutorial:) Those are so cute!

Lori said...

I would love a tutorial!

littlegirlpearl said...

OK, I'm working on it!

Melissa said...

Adorable, I'd love a tutorial!

golden star said...

A tutorial would be fab!

rebecca said...

I too would LOVE to know how you make these gorgeous little bags! Such a fantastic idea for using up all those leftover bit of fabric!!

Amen said...

Amen