Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My New Shop Announcement

Just thought I'd post this here as well, in case you missed it.

Dear Customers,

There is a new law that was enacted by Congress in November that will go into effect on February 10th, 2009. This law, called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, states that all children’s products, even handmade and one of a kind items, must be certified by a qualified lab for a maximum level of lead, regardless of whether the components used pose any kind of risk.

For now there is an interim provision in the law that allows for XRF technology, or x-ray detection of lead, to be used for compliance. However, this testing, while not as costly as destructive testing mandated in August, will still be a challenge to implement. In order to keep my business, I will be complying with this law to the best of my ability, but there will be some changes in my product offerings.

Many of the businesses on Etsy that offer products for children have been lobbying for changes in the law that will allow for a more rational approach to the lead requirements. For more information, you can read my blog, support the petition from the National Association of Manufacturers, and contact your congressmen to express your opinion on the untenable nature of this law in the current state of the U.S. economy.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have. Thank you for your continued support and patronage.

No comments: